On April 25, 2015 a 7.3 magnitude earthquake hit Nepal, then 17 days later another earthquake, 7.8 magnitude, hit the area again. Do you remember the earthquakes of Napal?
Sure, the News covered the devastation, but quickly moved on to more ‘pressing news’ of the personal lives celebrities and Presidential hopefuls. Living in America, we are so very easily distracted. Sometimes I think we have too much time on our hands, we’re too privileged. No, I know we are.
Even when I feel stressed to the max because things aren’t going my way, that stress is nothing compared to living in a place like Nepal and losing everything, especially people I love.
“But someone who does not know, and then does something wrong, will be punished only lightly. When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.“ Luke 12:48
Translation: Christians are called to give, whether it be our talent, our time, or our money. We give.
Nepal Earthquake Facts:
- 8,500 lives lost
- 18,000 injured
- 100s of aftershocks registering 3.3-3.7 magnitude
- People of Nepal are are living in tents, relying organizations like GFA’s Compassion Team
GFA Compassion Team has been there, from the very beginning, supplying aid relief. It hasn’t been an easy task. The earthquakes have destroyed roads making it harder to reach remote villages. Many times aid workers are walking miles to deliver relief. Sometimes they have the use of a helicopter to get to the most remote areas affected.
GFA Compassion Team has been working hard to:
- Deliver 724 tarps, 1,100 lbs of salt, 500 blankets, 1,100 lbs of dal, 400 packets of cooking spices in the Ramechhap district.
- Deliver 75 blanket, 72 tarps, 100 bars of soap, 144 packets of noodles in the Labdung village.
- Supply rice, salt, soap, rechargeable lanterns to families in the Makalu village.
- Give Makalu teachers 240 notebooks, 120 pens, and 6 packages of pencils for local school children.
- Travel hours to provide relief and much need supplies to 113 families from 5 villages. They have delivered 1,100 lbs of rice, 220 lbs of dal, 88 lbs of salt, 120 packages of noodles, 30 bars of soap, 30 matchboxes and cooking oil.
The Compassion Team has done so much but the work isn’t finished. So many more people are in need. They need HOPE.
Are you called to be that hope? There are two things you can do. Give money to help the Compassion Team continue to bring much needed basic supplies. And pray for Nepal, because HE hears our prayers!
- Comfort and hope for those grieving
- Protection from disease and danger
- God’s provision and sustenance for relief teams
- Many to understand Jesus’ love
*All images and image captions are property of Gospel for Asia. I am a Gospel for Asia blogger. This post does not contain affiliate links. To learn more about the good works of GFA go here.