On my to-do list this holiday season is to try Frozen Hot Chocolate. What on earth is Frozen Hot Chocolate, you ask? It’s a contradiction in rich chocolatey yummy-ness.
Serendipity 3 in NYC makes a infamous version of this frozen treat. I can’t just jet off to NYC…so, I found this recipe at Tasty Kitchen but modified it a little bit to my taste. (Red indicates my modifications.)
- 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar (Splenda, because that is all we have in the house)
- 1 package Hot Cocoa Mix (Sugar-Free)
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- ⅓ cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ⅓ cups White Chocolate Chips
- 12 ounces, fluid Can Evaporated Milk, Divided
- 4-½ cups Ice (2 cups crushed ice, 1 cup chocolate ice cream)
- Whipped Cream, if desired
- Mini Marshmallows, if desired
Combine sugar, cocoa mix, and butter in the top of a double boiler that is set over gently boiling water. Stir often until melted and a smooth paste forms. Add semi-sweet & white chocolate chips; stir. When chips begin to melt, slowly stir in 1/2 cup of evaporated milk. Stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
Combine the chocolate base mixture, the remaining evaporated milk and ice in a blender (you can do this in batches) and cover. Blend until smooth. Pour into frosty glasses. Top each with whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional chopped chocolate chips & mini marshmallows, if desired.
My taste-testers gave it 2 thumbs up! It is a cool treat that is hard to put down. Caution: It borders on chocolate over-load. Cheers!
Today was Ed’s funeral service. It was an intimate affair, unlike last night’s “Celebration of Life” at the Brown Palace which was an event full of cheerful remembrance. This chapter of our life with Ed may have ended, but his memory will live on in our hearts forever.