Yesterday I had a bad day at work, a long commute, basically I got home in a bad mood. Then, I spotted a box for me on the kitchen counter. It was the ornaments I ordered from Mercy House for Christmas gifts (save one for me, of course). This made me happy.
This year I plan to purchase gifts that will benefit and help others too. Mercy House is my first such purchase.
The Mercy House provides safe maternity beds to young girls and women in Kenya. They provide pre-natal check ups and vitamins to these pregnant girls. They have partnered with local churches. They provide training so that when the girls leave the house they have skills to make a living. They provide counseling and a safe, nurturing environment for these young mothers. Proceeds from the purchase of each craft item goes into an account for the girls when they graduate from the program.
SOME COLD HARD FACTS: (Source: The Mercy House)
- Annually, 21,000 women are hospitalized from having an illegal, unsafe abortion in Kenya. (Center for Reproductive Rights)
- Abortion is a volatile topic in Kenya.
- 13,000 Kenyan girls are kicked out of school for being pregnant. (Center for Reproductive Rights)
- 25% of pregnant women in Kenya are HIV positive (ObGyn in Kenya)
- Every 30 minutes, a woman is raped in Kenya. (Nairobi Women’s Hospital)
- Mothers often force their daughters into trading sex for food in the slums (CNN)
- More than 20,000 children are sex trafficked in Kenya (Human Trafficking)
- 1500 women die in childbirth every day across Africa (WHO)
“December Daily is an album project that documents the 25 days leading up to Christmas.” You can get full details at Ali Edwards. I have never been very good at keeping a daily record during December, but I like to document this very special season for my children’s future.