all creatures great…and small

Parker with Lily

Last night Alex brought Lily Mouse out to play. She was scratching like crazy. She has sores on her back and is bleeding.


So, I got online to try to figure out the problem…is she going to die or give us all the plague? Neither, actually. It appears she has mites.

Double gross.

I replaced her bedding with a paper/wood mix about 2 weeks ago. (This is not the usual bedding that I purchase, but it was all Target had at the time.) Apparently, mites live in wood.


This is only a guess but I am going with the wood bedding was contaminated. After a trip to Petsmart this morning I find out I need to take her to a vet because they can’t help me. Long story short, I get a vet appointment and she does indeed have mites.

Our $2 mouse cost me $47 in vet bills today. And $15 in new bedding and food because everything has to be thrown out and/or disinfected. I have to treat Lily with a sulfur (nasty) smelling medicine that colors her fur yellow/orange for 4 weeks…or more if it doesn’t clear up.

What I would do to save an animal…great or small!

Comments are closed.

Website Built with

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: